Sign up to follow your favorite podcasts and listen to episodes!
Soundtrack to the Summer
First up: We’ve got this week’s biggest headlines, from progress towards a new Iran nuclear deal to border clashes in Northern Ireland and Biden’s latest moves on gun control. (0:46)
Then: This week, Arkansas’ Governor vetoed a bill banning gender-affirming healthcare for minors – only for lawmakers to overturn the veto. We’ll break down a rollercoaster week in the state. (5:22)
Next: President Biden has some big infrastructure plans, but wants to raise corporate taxes to foot the bill. We’ll dive into the pros and cons of that hotly-debated tax hike. (7:55)
ICYMI: Wondering what President Biden’s plan is for student loan forgiveness? We’ve got the deets on what we know so far … in 60 seconds. (13:09)
Plus: 4,500+ Skimm'rs recently told us about the pandemic habit they most want to kick. One of the most common answers? ‘Drinking.’ We asked the experts: are we the only ones? And, how can we cut down if that’s something we want to do? (15:30)
Finally: If you’re bored of hibernating and feeling ready for summer … so are billions of noisy cicadas. We’ll talk to a nature expert and an event planner about what to expect in the next few months. (24:34)
P.S., Here are some of resources we in our show this week:
- The ACLU has a tracker where you can check up on any legislation affecting the transgender community in your state.
- If you’re looking for guidance on how to cut down on drinking, check out the National Institute for Alcoholism and Alcohol Addiction.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Joan Tucker, senior behavioral scientist, the RAND Corporation
- Sherry Price, host, 'Drink Less Lifestyle' podcast
- Jillian Smith, event planner and owner, One Touch Events
- Amy Moore, lead Teacher and naturalist, Potomac Valley Audubon Society
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr and Luke Vargas. With additional support from Peter Bonaventure and Ciara Long. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
Disclaimer: the content and artwork of this podcast are the property of its owner and are not affiliated with nor endorsed by Audiotrails.